Monday 21 May 2012

Logo Development



For my logo, I felt inspired by a couple of images I'd seen on the internet that included textures overlaid on type. Considering the length of the name for my movie, I felt that going down the typographic route was probably the best way to properly represent this project. However, I want to exhibit more than just type for my logo. Above are examples of playing around with different block fonts in where I would overlay an image of decaying matter (for example, walls, urban environment etc), all of which are common sights during urban exploration. I think that the logos that I've begun to develop are good, but to incorporate the correct graphic design elements that the brief is asking for, I want to take these fonts further and play with their form and function.

As part of my experimentation within my logo development, I began by overlaying a decaying image onto one of the designs I'd started with in my initial design ideas. As you can see with the experimentation above, it works fairly well, but I think the clarity of the overall image relies heavily on the image I choose as the overlay for the text. 


Above are some further experiments with the idea of an overlaid image. I think these are beginning to take shapes, and it's beginning to take shape along the lines of what my original idea wanted to present. There's a good mixture between modern graphic design and the beauty of decay/grunge within it, without losing the elements of design that I like.


I wanted to play around a little more with shapes and the way in which to present my logo. I felt that the text could be bigger, so I wanted to expand that, whilst still maintaining the urban decay and keeping that prominent. I made the type larger and added an extra box over the circle, overlaying the image again. The design on the left is currently my favourite, but I want to experiment more before finalizing my decision.



I took my designs into Illustrator and began playing around with the typeface that I'd used for the word Spatial. I wanted to change something subtly, so edited the form of the letter 'i'. I wanted this to not only work alongside the italic type below but play with the phrase spatial awareness. Would people notice the difference in the I, and would people notice the spacing within the word? I can see this final design on various different types of media - with it being a focal point in the website, on poster designs and on the flip side, a subtle aspect of any guerilla advertising.

I feel that this design captures many elements of the product itself - the decaying matter is present, I've played with the meaning of the words of the title within the design using typography and I'm pleased with the outcome since it's steered away from the stereotypical grunge/street look.

No comments:

Post a Comment