Thursday 24 May 2012

Movie Poster Research



What I like about this poster is the simplicity and the subtly of the image. Without even knowing the story for example, you're told a certain amount through the image. When researching and finding a foreign language film, it's even harder to interpret what the movie's about, so image is very important.




These posters caught my eye when I found them, there's something about the bold text, the red stripe and the simple imagery that's really great. I want my images in my posters to be strong and a very key focal point of the design, with text incorporating into that, rather than working around it. The balance in the top image is something that's really well done and definitely an inspiring piece of research.



This poster really caught my eye. Often, nowadays, graphic designers will re-invent an iconic piece of imagery for a film, television series, music artist etc, and some of them can be a bit of a disappointment. I really like this design however, and think the work within the type and the image is subtle, but works as a great focal point for the viewer. I like the idea of minimalism being used in the posters and think that along the lines of guerilla marketing and a bit of mystery, it's something that works fairly well.



I really like this poster, it's such a simple design yet it really captures the eye. The mysterious image and the great placement of the type works well and I think is definitely an inspiring element towards the design of my own posters. I want to keep my design simple and uncluttered to allow the images I use to take centre stage and appeal to my target audience.


Another example where an image is a strong part of the design of the poster and again, the focal point. The type has also been edited to fit in with the feel of the image, which I think is something that could definitely work with my posters. My only worry is that the text itself is a little dark, however, it's still legible. 

All of the above posters have inspired me in some way towards the end product of my own posters. I want to keep my own designs simple, and maintain the theme and feel of the images that I use so to keep the idea of my film prominent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment