Sunday 20 May 2012

'Urban' in Graphic Design

While researching design for my movie, I thought I'd look into 'urban' graphic design. One thing that I've always noticed about this trend is that it has similarities to grungey work. Elements such as paint splatter, textures of decay and type similar to graffiti are far too common in this. I want to break away from this stereotype with my design elements, so aim to look further into combining simple, clean graphic design to complement and work with that of urban exploring and the subject of beautiful decay. Below are some examples I've found.




This design project has a nice mixture of both clean graphic design elements with the 'urban' element of graffiti, city themes and decay. The logo and graphic design is kept simple, so that not only the images speak loudly, but so that there's a nice balance between the two without it looking busy and overcomplicated. 


This is a branding project I came across, that initially I didn't think much of. However, seeing the above image which incorporated street/urban textures inside the graphic design element of the logos works really well without too much of a 'grungey' feel taking over the design.




This is a branding project that I came across that really caught my eye. Not necessarily for the combination of 'urban' and graphic design, but more for the relevance of the project to mine and how it works well with simple graphical elements and textures. Using simple block lettering to spell out Dead End, they have overlaid imagery relevant to the project to create some depth to the design. This works well on many levels in the branding, from poster design, to websites, down to the very product itself.





This typeface, Brownstone Sans, was created to go alongside a series of photos based around urban exploring. I think it works well since it's creating a obvious barrier between the grungey elements of the photography, whilst maintaining a simple and clean design base. I also think the further designs using the frames and the line based symbols is a good way to add a bit more flare to the pieces.




Despite this being very basic, typographical graphic design, I wanted to feature it for a couple of reasons. The font used is one that is used in city landscapes, from subway directions to basic signage, which I think is a great connection between the urban and the design. They've used this cleverly to collaborate into their campaign. Another thing I like about the posters and the extra print items is that it all actively uses imagery from the city itself. This is something that I think would work well within my design and logo progression.

No comments:

Post a Comment